Sagging jowls? Thinking of tightening jawline?
As we age, the signs of time inevitably begin to manifest on our faces. One of the common concerns that people often encounter is the development of sagging jowls and a less defined jawline. While the aging process is natural and unavoidable, there are ways to address these concerns without resorting to invasive surgery. In this article, we will delve into the causes of sagging jowls and explore non-surgical cosmetic treatments to tighten and tone the jawline.
Causes of Sagging Jowls
Sagging jowls are primarily caused by a combination of factors that affect the skin, superficial and deep fat pads, muscles, and other underlying structures of the face.
Some of the main causes include:
- Aging and Collagen Loss: As we grow older, the production of collagen and elastin – essential proteins responsible for skin firmness and elasticity – decreases. This loss of structural support contributes to the sagging and loosening of the skin around the jawline.
- Gravity: Over time, the downward force of gravity can lead to the gradual descent of facial tissues, including the skin around the jawline. This downward pull exacerbates the appearance of jowls.
- Fat Pads: There are fat pads beneath the skin that provide cushioning and support to facial structures. With aging, these fat pads may diminish in volume and shift downward. This can cause the skin to drape less tightly over the underlying structures, leading to the appearance of jowls.
- Bone Resorption: As we age, there is a natural process of bone resorption, where the bones lose some of their density especially around the mouth, jawline and eyes. This can affect the underlying support for facial tissues, contributing to the drooping of the skin along the jawline.
- Muscle Weakening: Over time, the muscles supporting the jawline can weaken too. As these muscles lose their tone, the skin may sag more prominently in the lower face.
- Ligament Laxity: The ligaments that hold facial structures in place can also experience laxity with age. This laxity contributes to the downward displacement of facial tissues, including the skin along the jawline.
Factors contributing to jowls formation that we can control:
- Sun Exposure: Prolonged and unprotected exposure to the sun’s harmful UV rays accelerates the breakdown of collagen and elastin in the skin. This can lead to premature aging and sagging jowls.
- Lifestyle Factors: Poor lifestyle habits such as smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, and an unhealthy diet can contribute to the breakdown of collagen and skin elasticity.
What are the most effective cosmetic treatments to tighten the jowls and define jawline?
There are several non-surgical cosmetic procedures available that can help tighten jowls and define the jawline without the need for invasive surgery. Here are some of the most effective treatments in our clinic in Gold Coast:
- Dermal Fillers: Dermal fillers containing hyaluronic acid can be strategically injected to restore lost volume and provide structural support to sagging jowls. By adding volume to specific areas such as cheeks, chin and jawline, dermal fillers can help lift and contour the jawline, creating a more defined appearance.
- Anti-wrinkle treatment: Botulinum toxin injections can be used to target muscles responsible for pulling down the lower face. Depressor anguli oris is responsible for pulling your corners of the mouth down creating more prominent marionettes lines and down turned smile. Platysma muscle can also pull the face and neck down. By relaxing these muscles, the treatment can help reduce the appearance of jowls and improve the overall jawline contour.
- PDO Threads: This treatment involves the insertion of biodegradable threads beneath the skin that stimulates collagen and elastin production to tighten sagging areas and create uplifted appearance. PDO Threads are often used to target jowls and redefine the jawline.
- Radiofrequency (RF) Therapy: RF treatments deliver controlled heat energy to the deep layers of the skin, stimulating collagen production and tightening loose skin. RF can be used to improve the appearance of jowls and enhance jawline definition.
- Ultrasound Therapy (Ultherapy): Ultrasound technology targets specific layers of tissue to stimulate collagen production and lift sagging skin. Ultherapy can be used to address jowls and improve jawline contour without surgery.
- Fat Dissolving: Fat Dissolving is an injectable treatment containing deoxycholic acid, which can be used to target and reduce submental fat (double chin). This can contribute to a more defined jawline and improved profile.
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy: PRP involves using a patient’s own platelets to stimulate collagen production and promote tissue regeneration. PRP can be combined with other treatments to enhance their effects on skin tightening.
- Skincare Routine and Daily Sun Protection: Skincare products that contain ingredients like retinol, hyaluronic acid, and peptides can promote collagen production and improve skin’s texture. Broad-spectrum sunscreen with a high SPF daily to shield your skin from UV damage can prevent further collagen breakdown.
These treatments vary in their approach and effectiveness, and the best option for you will depend on factors such as your goals, skin type, budget, and the severity of your concerns. It’s important to consult with a qualified medical professional before undergoing any treatment to ensure it’s suitable for your individual needs. Many clinics offer customized treatment plans that combine different non-surgical techniques to achieve optimal results for reducing the jowls and defining the jawline.
* Important: This content is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as a medical advice. Results vary with each patient thus individual consultation to address specific skin concerns is required. You can learn more about our treatments or book individual consultation in Gold Coast with our Registered Nurse Diana via our website.